Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Blogola / Yelp Sucks


The FTC has mandated that bloggers should disclose blog-ola. I have no beef at all with this requirement. Yelp.com, the soapbox that panders to the common idiot, surely should hard wire this ethical practice into their process. Even before Yelp began to get my goat, the yelper in charge of the Philly area gave a review of brunch at Lacroix. Brunch at Lacroix is pretty special in my experience. It was special in her experience as well. But it's way more special when a 250-300$ brunch is gratis. 1st review: This was not disclosed. Though ethically appalling, it is an insignificant concern compared with the cringe evoking dullness of yelp banter.




5 comments:

Felicia D'Ambrosio said...

It's the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) not the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) that is now advocating full disclosure.

Gaetano said...

thanks felicia

Anonymous said...

Yelp is a complete racket! I have had eight 5 star reviews removed but one disgruntled associate loses her job and spend the next two months becoming an elite yelper just so she can post a negative review about my business. And, it will never be removed. Now they call weekly to get me to advertise on their site. They want me to pay them money to facilitate a blank bitching board for any peon to write any biased review about my business without any verification or recourse? Oh Yes, now businesses can respond but that doesn't affect the star rating which is what clients see when they do a search. I am astonished that there is no legal recourse. I am so looking forward to Yelp going down. They are greedy bastards and deserve to be sued into oblivion.

Anonymous said...

I am personally documenting that Yelp has been removing every positive review within 24 hours after they started calling me weekly for money. They have removed 11 positive reviews so far. They even removed a 5 star review posted 10 hours prior and double listed my only negative review which happens to not even be by an actual client but by a disgruntled "elite" yelper and always stays up. They are manipulating the reviews and extorting business owners for monthly payments. I will be filing a formal complaint.

Gaetano said...

Wow anon that is really crappy. Are you a Philly biz?